Before you move and settle in a different country, there are certain prerequisites needed for your immigration and for that you need immigration services. It is important that you take immigration services from a reliable immigration consultancy agency to make the immigration process in a foreign county hassle-free. At eFace, we help you find a number of immigration consultants offering a complete solution for all your immigration needs. These consultants are known for providing visa services to all those planning to settle down in a foreign country.

So, you want to work in the UK, but you have no idea where to start…

If you have never worked in the UK before, you are not sure what your rights are, or don’t even know if you’re eligible to – it can be a challenge to find the right information.

To keep you clued up with the facts, here are your rights to working in the UK:

  • • Am I eligible to work in the UK?
  • • You are eligible to work in the UK, and therefore do not need to obtain a work permit, if any of the following apply:
    • o You are a British citizen
    • o You are a European Economic Area (EEA) citizen – see list below
    • o You are a Swiss national

EEA countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, (for example, a valid UK National Insurance number).

Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

You will also need to apply for a UK residence card or be able to prove your right to work in the UK as an EU citizen

For more information related to EU, EEA and Commonwealth citizens and your rights to working in the UK, please


What if I do not have the right to work in the UK?

If one of the parameters above does not apply, or you are not from one of the countries listed, you will need to obtain a visa and/or work permit before finding employment in the UK.


If you are not a British citizen, EEA citizen or Swiss national, you may need to apply for a visa in order to be able to work in the UK.

You should be able to apply for a visa via a British Overseas Mission in your own country, or the British Embassy. For more information specific to your own country, please visit

For a full list of the visas available to you, and to check if you need a UK visa, please visit:

But remember, having a visa does not necessarily mean you are automatically able to work in the UK, and you may also need a work permit in order to begin working.

Work permit

If you have already found a job in the UK and been accepted to work, or you have a visa, but it prohibits you from working, you may need to obtain a work permit.

You cannot apply for a work permit directly. Your employer in the UK will need to apply on your behalf. The length of your permit will depend on the type of work you do, and the sort of permit granted.

Do I need to be sponsored to apply for a visa?

In order to apply for most work visas, you will usually need to gain a job offer with sponsorship from an employer in the UK first.

However, you can apply for a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa without sponsorship if you:

Want to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years

  • • Are 18 to 30 years old
  • • Have £1890 in savings
  • • Have certain types of British Nationality or are from certain countries
  • • Meet the other eligibility requirements
What jobs am I eligible for?

This will depend on the individual employer, the type of role, and your relevant skills and experience.

Whilst some organisations have a licence to sponsor temporary and/or permanent employees to allow them to work at their business, not all of them will be able to this.

To find out whether the job is suitable for EU, EEA and Commonwealth citizens, or for applicants outside of these areas, check the job description – or get in touch with the employer directly.

Chat With Our Support!

Get Started